Wednesday, June 15, 2011

His name was Paul... I later found out!

Reported by Roger Lutz


I once met a man that brought me to the realization of what Jesus meant when he said, “What you did by caring for the underprivileged was as pleasing to my Father as if you had done it for me.” (Matt 25:40) His name was Paul, as I later found out! We were in the outer areas west of Hanoi, North Vietnam When I first laid eyes on him. He was looking into a crowd of babies, kids, and needy moms along with other men of women of various ages from pregnant ladies with infants to the older than elderly. Paul was sporting an amazing and engaging smile with a big red bulb for a nose and multiple big round black Jamaican style pigtail braids hanging from a beggars hat. I got the feeling that Paul must have given his real hat to a needy person and the replacement was just a way to make those around him feel at ease!

Every so often I would see his hand streak back over his shoulder seeking a bag of goodies hidden under a rather robust pigtail and grab up a nondescript furry love ball that resembled a smile enclosed or surrounded by some sort of gleeful representative of the animal world. I noticed that he kept the most provocative bundles of fur for those kids that were really need—you know like physical defects, handicaps or just a spirit that was overcome with need. The forays of gifting from this bag full of furry goodies representing the Animal kingdom continued on as he let the kids check out his overgrown red bulb for a nose and a face that erupted into an overwhelming smile reflecting his unmitigated pleasure at bringing a bit of comfort or making life just a bit better for those in the crowd. As my interest intensified and my observation became more detailed I noticed a thin glistening stream of water coming from an obscure area at irregular intervals. The stream aimed at a frowning face and invariable brought a catching smile to a frowning face—as well as those in the surrounding area. I came to the realization that this was Paul’s way of handing out smiles and making life a bit easier for each of those that surrounded him—it even worked on me a guy that smiles inside but sometimes forgets to tell his face to do the same!

Then there was a more serious side of Paul’s nature that I did not at first perceive. He promoted happy faces and kept the needy crowd entertained as they waited for the Dentists, Doctors, and surgeons. This in itself was and is priceless! Countless times I observed the serious side of Paul’s nature peak out from underneath the clown camouflage. Out of the corner of my eye I would see him grab a small kid and with mom in tow march them in military style up to a Doc for special consideration. As Paul got closer I focused on his face and noticed a face lined with character, eyes a bit misty with compassion and facial expressions extruding kindness. In an instant I realized that this was a total “manly package” that reflected the good side of humanity and this goodness just reached out and grabbed at my inner self. Paul provided me with a view and an understanding of what “good” is all about! I came to realize that I being given insight as to what Paul finds most important. I was and still am overcome with admiration and appreciated for this rare treasure of personal commitment to help others. I got the impression that this glimpse of Paul personality was just the tip of the iceberg. Paul’s humanity immerged into full focus from the background of evolving circumstances as he did something good for each of the needy persons that arrived within his sphere of concern.

As the day came to an end my mind reflected on Paul’s brilliant eyes, kind face and a smile. The realization came that I had been privileged to observe and learn from this special person how to convey compassion, concern and a smile, delivered with determined passion as it warms each of those that are touched by the association. For me I can report, that I have become a better person for being in the approximate vicinity of Paul---as I later found his name to be!

I came to realize that I being given insight as to what Paul finds most important. I was and still am overcome with admiration and appreciated for this rare treasure of personal commitment to help others. I got the impression that this glimpse of Paul personality was just the tip of the iceberg. Paul’s humanity immerged into full focus from the background of evolving circumstances as he did something good for each of the needy persons that arrived within his sphere of concern. As the day came to an end my mind reflected on Paul’s brilliant eyes, kind face and a smile. The realization came that I had been privileged to observe and learn from this special person how to convey compassion, concern and a smile, delivered with determined passion as it warms each of those that are touched by the association. For me I can report, that I have become a better person for being in the approximate vicinity of Paul---as I later found his name to be!

The Full impact of what Jesus was telling that “legal beagle” in Matt 22:37-40 and Matt 25:40 finally made the home run of the century within the recesses of my mind. It is all about love---we Love God because he first loved us 1John 4:19, and as we reflect in God’s love and goodness, we begin to resemble God’s goodness and pass that on to those around us!

Jesus said, " 'Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.' This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.' These two commands are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hangs from them."

Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.' Matthew 22: 37-40; 25:40

0 comments:

Post a Comment