Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

Mother, just wanted to take a few moments to express my appreciation for all that you’ve done. You have sustained my life everyday for as long as I can remember. Even when I have completely neglected you or not given you a thought you have been there for me, full of selfless love and support, providing all my meals, shelter, and clothing.

I don’t know of anyone else that would have hung in there for me like you have. At times I have paid careful attention to how I treated you and at other times I have paid no attention at all. You must really wonder how I feel at times! I know it’s been almost 50 years and I’m just starting to understand, but that’s one of the things that I have learned from you, is tolerance and patience.

I wonder what it must be like for you on a day like this, being the mother of so many. You’ll probably have so many cards that you’ll have to sacrifice a whole forest just producing them! Hopefully, they will all be recycled ones. It would be kind of an insult to ask you to sacrifice even more on your special day. But then, I’m sure you’re probably used to it, making sacrifices of yourself so that we can do whatever we want.

Lately, though, I’m sensing a change in attitude from you. You don’t seem as happy as you once were. I’m starting to think that maybe you are not well. In fact, in places, you are not looking so great! I mean, I don’t want to insult you, but frankly, parts of you are looking downright diseased!

I know, I know, perhaps spending your rain forests like there was no tomorrow was probably not the great idea we thought it was, but you know we’re trying to come up with some new bio-fuels, and it seemed like a great idea! Sorry that you’re looking so much worse for the wear. But we know how forgiving you are, so we hope you won’t hold this against us.

Anyway, I don’t want to go into all of this right now anyway, it being Mother’s Day and all. I just wanted to let you know that I really do care. There’s no point in dredging up all the garbage in our relationship! Let’s just focus on the positive part, OK? You know, we have to get along together for quite some time. At least until I don’t need you anymore.

Children? You are asking about my children and grandchildren? Oh, right. Yes, they might still need you also. Have to give that one some thought. But, like I said, just wanting to wish you a Happy Mother’s Day, so don’t start getting all sentimental on me. Just know that you are loved, and that’s what counts! Right? Oh, come one, now you’re getting all teary-eyed on me. You know how I hate that. Just smile for your picture.

0 comments:

Post a Comment